Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Our Trip To The Accupunturist

Our eating issues are still very apparent even though my boys are getting enough to grow. Cole especially is a little out of proportion. He is 25th percentile for height but completely "off the chart" for weight. I hate charts to begin with but it would make more sense if he were "off the chart" for both weight and height. So this suggests to me that he is a little underweight. Mealtimes are still a struggle and at this point I am not sure if its behavioral or truly just a lack of appetite. I decided one day, when eating was getting nightmarish, to take Cole to an accupunturist. I had heard great things from a friend that I have who took her son to one. He is now gaining weight more consistently and absorbing the nutrients in the food he eats food more efficiently. I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a try since all my western medicine advice had not helped thus far.

I recevied a recommendation from a Chiropracter friend of mine and made a trip to Decatur, GA. Her name is Kimberlie Biondi and she works out of a small office building on the far side of the town. She was an extremely calm and relaxing presence and felt Cole's disposition almost immediately. Just by touching him and using some "tuning forks" on various pressure points she was able to determine what is going on with him. Her diagnosis is that Cole is not entirely in his body yet. He lacks some body awareness but even more importantly, he is not getting the most out of the foods he eats. His digestion is quick and not all the nutrients are being absorbed for maximum growth. This seemed to make sense to me because there is a stark difference between him and his twin brother. I had brought Jake along for the trip and Kimberlie noticed right away that Jake was way more "in his body" than Cole. Her suggestion was to massage points around his ankle, on the outside of his knees, around his belly button and right on his solar plexus. She suggested I do this whenever I have the opportunity in order to get him grounded and fully into his body. I could also use some essential oils while I am rubbing these pressure points. I have read in my Young Living reference guide that nutmeg can stimulate appetite so I planned to use this oil on Cole.

After about 2 weeks of these pressure point exercises, I started to see more of an apetite in Cole. He would start taking food off his tray by himself and seemed interested in new foods. I was able to introduce gnocchi pasta (he hates pasta), apple sausage and fish sticks. These are all foods that Jake still does not eat. I admit, Cole has had days where he reverts and does not eat these new foods but at least he was open to trying them. As a side effect, Cole's receptive ability increased dramatically during this period. He began to "catch up" to his brother and understand the directions I was giving him. He was pointing more often, waving and clapping frequently. All things that were slow to come to him. I do atribute this in part to the accupunture.

Right now, he isn't feeling well so all bets are off. Whenever my kids are sick, eating is the last thing they want to do. This is very frustrating for me but I have to keep telling myself that it won't last forever. I am currently applying RC on Cole's chest, Raven on Cole's back and Immunopower on the sole's of his feet. I am hoping this will help to break up the congestion in his chest and relieve his cough while keeping his immune system strong. He still gets his cod liver oil every night. I am hoping to avoid a trip to the pediatrician!

No comments:

Post a Comment