Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I Just Discovered Diatomaceous Earth

It was during my regular wednesday trip to the farmers market to pick up my raw milk and free range eggs that I discovered something called Diatomaceous Earth. Its a white powdery substance that is apparently hard to come by but has amazing health benefits. I called my Dad to tell him what the farmer told me after he sold me 3 lbs of the stuff for $12. My Dad mentioned that he uses the same substance to clean the filters in his swimming pool. I found this very curious and did some research. Obviously the Diatomaceous Earth that I purchased is food grade and meant to be consumed. It actually does the same thing in the human body that its intended to do for a swimming pool filter.....clean it out!

If you look at the powdery white stuff through a microscope, it looks like rice chex cereal wrapped up in a cylinder. As it passes through your digestive tract, its extremely hard edges scrape the walls of your intestinal lining, getting up all the mucous, bad bacteria and heavy metals that have accumulated over time due to bad eating habits as well as just living normal lives. All of these toxins are removed when you pass them out the other end. I know, it sounds gross but its actually a wonderful thing. Its essentially a cleanse and many people take Diatomaceous Earth in combination with other cleanses.

The health benefits are many: lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol, more energy, clearer skin, to name just a few. When I learned about this, I felt like the best candidate for it. I absolutely need more energy. I am constantly complaining about how tired I am running after twin boys. Its a lot of work but I should have more energy. I'm really not THAT old! My skin could use some cleansing and clearing so I hope I get to see those kinds of results. I bought a 3 lb barrel of the stuff today and already took my daily regimen of 1 tbls with some orange juice. You can't even taste the Diatomaceous Earth at all. It makes the juice a little chalky but that is because I didn't pour a big enough glass. It went down just fine and I hope to see results in a week or two.

Here is a link to some scientific info about Diatomaceous Earth and all the health benefits it provides:
http://www.earthworkshealth.com/How-Diatomaceous-Earth-Works.php

I will keep you all posted on my results and where you can purchase some for yourself!

1 comment: