Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My Morning at the Farmer's Market

When I say I'm going to the Farmer's market, I dont' really mean your typical multi booth open air market with many different farmer's represented plus some local merchants thrown in. I am most likely referring to the parking lot behind the medical building where all the patrons of Carlton Farms meet. They are not your usual suspects either. No yuppies here, these people are of the homeschooling kind. They show up at 10am on Wednesdays in Dunwoody to buy fresh raw milk, raw cheese, grass fed meat, free range chickens and eggs, raw honey and whatever veggies are in season and they have been doing so for much longer than I have. I am impressed by their dedication to this way of eating and their political awareness concerning any sort of farm or food legislation. These people are tough and really know about the food they put on the table. Most of them have Chad's (the farmer) personal cell number and call him if he happens to be late one Wednesday just to make sure everything is OK. When he does show up a line usually 20 deep has already formed and you know it will take about 30 minutes before you are at the front of it. Each and every patron feels the need to have an in depth conversation with Chad about the cows, the feed, the chickens, the weather or whatever and Chad obliges them eagerly. Its unspoken protocol to wait patiently and not give dirty look looks or utter impatient sighs. These people are engaging in a relationship with the man who provides their food and its something remarkable to witness. It takes you back to a century ago before all of our food became processed and impossible to trace back to the source. It actually reminds me of Little House on the Prairie in some ways, a more honest time in history.

On this particular fall day, I waited and had a pleasant conversation with one of the patrons while we waited. Its getting cold here in Georgia, especially in the mornings and we were both positioning ourselves in the tiny slit of sun that managed to get beyond the thick and colorful trees. We talked about S510 and whether it will pass and how that could potentially change the way we get organic sustainable food in the future. Its a sad thought, but there may come a day when farmers markets like this one will cease to exist because they will be illegal. The FDA and Big Agra want it that way and their pockets are much bigger than Chads.

Its finally my turn to purchase and I ask Chad if he has any extra milk because I forgot to put in my order last night online. "Ofcourse", he replies and gladly hands me 2 gallons. I ask about his little girl who is about to turn 1 in a month. He quickly whips out an adorable picture of her sitting on his tractor. Precious. I pay, and go on my way with a warm feeling inside. I know I am doing good things for my family and helping to keep an honest, sustainable farmer in business. I wish I could do this for all all of them. Unfortunately its just not possible.

For more info about my type of Farmers Market, please go to http://www.carltonfarm.com/
They also give tours of their farm which the kids absolutely love!

No comments:

Post a Comment