Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Dirty Water Magic Show

We just moved to a new home recently and the "welcome ladies" have been very busy coming by with gifts and free samples galore. Its a great way to get new residents introduced to local businesses but buyer beware. The other day I received a notice on my door, similar to one that FedEx would leave when you aren't home to sign for a package. The notice asked me to call this company "Bueno Neighbor" and give them my special code so that my gift could be delivered.

I called and was told that I would be receiving $50 of restaurant.com gift certificates, however I would have to allow an Eco Water dealer in my house to perform a water purification demonstration at no cost and no pressure to purchase anything. Since I am considering a water purification system anyway, I thought, why not?

Well, this guy shows up to my house with a large black box. He tries to take me through some antiquated slide show (via scrapbook) on the history of the company and the origins of hard water. If you live in the south and get your water from a lake which then must go through treatment before it hits your tap, most likely your water will be hard. It will also contain chlorine as well as fluoride, both of these can be toxic. I was aware of all this before the magician came to my house but I politely listened to his story. He told me he was NOT a sales person but an "advertiser" for the company. Now, with many years in marketing under my belt, I begged to differ with this man. He came into my house with a demo kit and slide show. He was indeed a salesperson, but I digress.

So after the dissertation on hard water was finished, the "advertiser" takes a test tube of my tap water and a test tube of his Eco Water and starts dropping colorful drops of unknown solutions into both. Of course my water turned bright yellow and his water stayed clear. OH NO! Bad sign right there. My water was very hard! Then he tested the chlorine levels by dropping more colorful solutions from unnamed bottles out of his magical black box. Yep! My water definitely contained too much chlorine!! Another bad bad thing. By this point, the average person would be shaking in their shoes about how toxic their tap is and how their entire family is going to die from chlorine poisoning.

Then comes the kicker. Our friendly advertiser tries to demonstrate how much we could be saving if we bought an Eco Water purification system. It was fuzzy math to me, the only thing I saw was how much he wanted us to spend on this system. $7,000!!!! YIKES! However, if we signed on the dotted line that instant, he would give it to us for $6,000. The offer was valid for 15 minutes.

We were floored. Shocked really, that this guy could (with a straight face) ask us to spend $6,000 without even doing 1 minute of our own research on this company, brand or product. I asked him if he could give us some time to think about it, call him tomorrow maybe. NO. It was yes or no that very minute. My husband laughed and sent him on his way, immediately. But before he packed up his gear, I wanted my $50 worth of restaurnt.com gift certificates. The guy was only planning on giving me $25!! The nerve. Needless to say, I got what was coming to me.

I can not believe a company that has been in business since 1925 actually does business this way? Is it possible that people are stupid enough to sign away $6K or more on something they know nothing about? I didn't believe my water was that bad anyway. I had no idea what chemicals he was dropping in it to make it turn those colors. It was a complete magic show. It should be no surprise to anyone that when I Googled the company all sorts of scam reports came up about Eco Water. They are a legit company with as legit product, however, I think its way overpriced and their sales techniques are beyond shady. People are veiwing them as a scam because of their sales techniques.

As for water purification systems, there are many others out there that cost 1/3 the price. I personally am looking not only for a purification system but an ionizer. One that makes the pH of my water more alkaline.

http://www.jupiterionizers.com/ This one was recommended to me by a friend. I am looking into it now and if I purchase, I will give a full report.

The moral of the story. If you don't have a purification system in your home:

1) Drink filtered water (reverse osmosis is a great way to purify)
2) Drink alkaline water (you can buy it by the gallon or get ionizers to drop in a gallon of purified water)
3) Use the purified water for cooking as well
4) Save your money for a purification system but not just to soften the water, get it to make your water healthy. Soft water does not equal healthy water.
5) Don't let any water magicians into your home, I do believe its a scam to some degree.   

No comments:

Post a Comment