Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Book That Changed It All


The Hundred Year Lie. A must read. My friend from undergrad needs to take the credit for setting me off on my journey. We would talk on the phone for hours about our children, vaccinations, autism and antibiotics. She is a mother of 4 boys all under the age of 6 (which is just amazing and something I could NEVER do). I agreed with mostly everything she was saying and felt compelled to learn more. She suggested that I read The Hundred Year Lie. So I did. What I learned was frightening to say the least. Frightening and uncanny. The three main categories of toxins that are ingested in humans on a daily basis come from the following categories: Household and personal care products, processed food and pharmaceuticals. Sound familiar? Those are the three companies I spent my career working tirelessly for! The very companies that taught me everythnig I know about marketing. The companies that produced products I had a passion for and tried to influence consumers to buy more of!

In isolation, these products have been proven safe for human use by the FDA and various other governing bodies, however, in combination, the synergy of the synthetic chemicals found in these products and absorbed into our bodies can produce serious side effects ranging from toxicity to neurological damage and disease. Currently there are over 100,000 synthetic chemicals on the market and found in everyday products that we consume today. It would be completely impossible for anyone to test the endless combinations and permutations of these chemicals to see what type of damage they can do to the human body. That leaves us in a precarious position. Essentially we are all guinea pigs ingesting the multitude of product varieties and offerings that are supposed to make our lives easier and designed to keep us "healthy".

So what have we seen so far?? Well, in the past 100 years we have seen the rise of these synthetic chemicals in the marketplace as well as a corresponding rise in autoimmune, neurological diseases and cancer. Is there a link? None that has been proven as of yet, but the evidence is glaring. What we do know is that boys have a more difficult time processing toxins found in the body. There also seems to be a "tipping point" with the amount of toxic burden a human body can withstand before incurring neurological damage. This information was enough to scare me as well as empower me. I have two boys. They are too young to make their own decisions and I want to protect them from what can possibly harm them. The Hundred Year Lie was the catalyst that set me on my journey to become "green". I cleaned out my pantry, I cleaned out my closets and under my sink. I cleaned out my bathroom and filled garbage bags with all the products that contained synthetic chemicals. I threw it all away...... and then I began to start over.

No comments:

Post a Comment