Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Most Anticipated Post.... Vaccines

My story is not unlike many of you I am sure. I have read the studies that say there is no link between vaccines and autism and I have read the books written by mothers who swear that vaccines caused their child to turn autistic. Who is to believe? Well recently there has been information from the NAA (National Autism Association) that claims the CDC's study of the MMR vaccine and autism was flawed. I will not go into specifics, you can read the article yourself at www.nationalautismassociation.org/press090308.php . The debate will go back and forth for some time I am sure. There probably isn't a "hard" link but rather a soft link stemming from toxins in the body. I mention in my previous post about our toxic burden and how we can reach a tipping point in our body where an overload can cause neurological and autoimmune damage, especially in boys who have a tougher time detoxing their bodies. We know that vaccines contain toxins (formaldehyde, heavy metals, aborted fetal tissue, etc)I took all this information and made my future decisions based on it. I decided that I was going to protect my children from some of the more harmful diseases out there as well as protect the society at large but I was going to do it on my schedule. A delayed schedule. I did not let them vaccinate my children in the hospital at birth. I refused the Hep B shot to the chagrin of the nurses. They tried their hardest to put the fear of God in me that something bad was going to happen to me or my children or even their jobs if I didn't agree to give the boys the shot. I refused and stuck to my guns. They had no right to make me feel the way they did. They can not force you to do anything you don't want to do. They were MY children.

After 2 weeks, I let my pediatrician give the boys the Hep B shot and that was it. Over time, I allowed only 2 shots per visit. I rejected the Rota virus because its only 2 years old and hasn't been tested for very long. I rejected the Polio vaccines because it has essentially been eradicated from society. I allowed the Dtap, the HIB and the Prevnar but only in a very spread out manner (2 shots per visit). They tried to sneak a 5 in 1 shot on me once and I literally flipped out on them. 5 in 1?? That is such an overload of toxins to the body, I can't even believe that they make it. I think the 5 in 1 was a Dtap plus 2 others. The Dtap vaccine is for Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis its a 3 in 1 that can't be broken up.

For my own personal reasons the boys have only had their 6 month shots and then I stopped vaccinating to give their bodies a break. At 12 months I felt they were not meeting milestones appropriately. This could be because they are boys and they are twins or it could be for other unknown reasons. At that point I decided to postpone all vaccines until they were over 2 years of age. Probably closer to 3. I discussed this with my pediatrician who was supportive. Its just too bad that I had to go through 3 pediatricians to find one that was supportive. I think its important to find a homeopathic pediatrician from the beginning and save yourself from all those uncomfortable experiences where the the doctor is assuming they know more than you do. In this case, I don't believe that they really do.

Now my kids are doing fine and I am happy with my choice. I do plan to catch them up before they are 3 and all should be OK. They have been immunized from some viruses just not all. They will start preschool in September and ofcourse the preschool has asked for an immunization record. Instead of explaining myself and the course that I have chosen I am just going to fill out a form that states that my religious beliefs forbid me from vaccinating my children. Its a non denominational form that doesn't even state the religion. Many states still accept this type of form and will let your child attend the school. I am sure that many of you will strongly disagree with my choices but I am not looking to be judged. I am just passing on information that may be helpful to some of you who share my views. All I did to find the form was go to Google and type in Vaccination Exemption Form and Georgia. You can do this for your state and a site with the various official forms will pop up. I plan to send mine in this week.

I feel very good about the decisions I have made for my boys. They are really catching up and are even advanced in some areas! The talking is taking some time but they now have an 8 word vocabulary and are working on articulation. I am very proud of my little guys and want nothing but the best for them. I would never forgive myself if something happened to them that could have been prevented.

If anyone is interested in finding a similar form for your state, just send me an email and I will help you.

As an addendum; I was reading some information on vaccines from Dr. Mercola's website http://www.mercola.com/ and he summarized a user friendly schedule for vaccines. I want to post this here for anyone who may be interested.

Vaccination schedule that Dr. Mercola recommends:
No vaccinations until a child is two years old.
No vaccines that contain thimerosal (mercury).
No live virus vaccines (except for smallpox, should it recur).
These vaccines should be given one at a time, every six months, beginning at age 2:
A) Pertussis (acellular, not whole cell)
B) Diphtheria
C) Tetanus
D) Polio (the Salk vaccine, cultured in human cells)

2 comments:

  1. This right here what you said "I mention in my previous post about our toxic burden and how we can reach a tipping point in our body where an overload can cause neurological and autoimmune damage"
    I think this is what happened to Abby. I vaccinated on schedule without doing my research (I'm still trying to figure out how to not blame myself for what happened to her) and am kicking myself in the ass for it. Abby was ahead on everything, ahead of her sister, and after their 6 month shots..downhill. She turned into this sick, tired, cranky, moody baby who wouldn't do anything but sit there. Wouldn't make eye contact..it was so hard. I have no explanation except her body got overloaded with vaccinations and she just couldn't handle them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting Christina. I hear you and believe you but do NOT blame yourself one bit. We as mothers are pressure dinto staying on a regorous vaccination schedule. Its hard to stand up to these pushy doctors that think they know it all. Right now you need to be in the present, forget about what could have been and focus on getting Abby better. There are ways. Have you ever heard of chelation? Look it up on Wikipedia. Its the process of detoxifying the body from heavy metals and toxins. It has had some amazing results with kids that are autsitic, ADHD, PDD, etc. There are many ways it can be done such as going to a natropathic doctor who will do blood tests to see how toxic Abby's blood is and then prescribe a psecific chelation techique that will rid her body of these toxins over time. You can also help her along naturally with antioxidant drinks and coconut oil. The anti oxidant drink I reccomend is NingXia Red from Young Living. I could give you more information if you want to know more about it. But seriously look into a natropathic Dr. I know they are expensive, I am not going to lie. But its your daughter and you want her to be vibrant again. I really think you guys can make it happen. Chelation can really work!! Let me know if you want more info - I can help you with finding a Dr. too. My friend takes her son to one in upstate NY.

    Cara

    ReplyDelete