Monday, July 20, 2009

My Almost Totally Organic/Local Dinner


This will be a fun post because I will be giving out a recipe as well. The weather here in Atlanta has been absolutely glorious for the past couple of days. Very "San Diego like" weather with cool mornings and nights and days not hotter than 80 degrees with very low humidity. The weather has me feeling very upbeat and energized. I was able to run many errands with the boys today when usually one errand plus the park is enough for me. We made it to the toy store for some sand to put in their sand and water table as well the food store. I bought some of the remaining ingredients that I needed for tonight's dinner. I had decided to make a homemade pesto to serve over pasta and some meatballs on the side. I had never attempted a homemade pesto but when I read how easy it was, I couldn't resist. I really love pesto with all the basil and pie nuts that comprise it. Plus, making it in my food processor was truly a breeze! Here is the Pesto Recipe:

2 cups of fresh organic Basil leaves (packed)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin cold pressed Olive oil
3 tbls of Pie nuts
3 Cloves of garlic (chopped)

Put 2/3 of the basil into food processor with 2/3 of the cheese, garlic, oil and nuts. Blend until liquid. Slowly add in the rest of the ingredients and blend until thick and sauce-like. You can refrigerate for a week or freeze for months.

A little about the health benefits of Basil. Basil, like garlic has many antibacterial properties. Its essential oil has been found to inhibit growth of the widespread staphylococcus, enterococcus, pseudomonas, and e. coli bacteria, among others. Eugenol, which is found in essential oil of basil, provides an anti-inflammatory effect, by blocking an enzyme called cyclooxygenase. Aspirin and Ibuprofen work by blocking this same enzyme. So, basil can have healing benefits, and provide relief from the symptoms of inflammatory problems, like rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory bowel conditions. Magnesium is also present in basil. This essential mineral helps the heart and blood vessels to relax, improving blood flow. Other nutrients found in basil include iron, calcium, potassium, and vitamin C.

And the Meatballs:

1lb of grass fed ground beef
1 free range pastured egg
1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup of organic bread crumbs
1 tbls of parsley

Combine all ingredients in a glass bowl. Mash the mixture with your hands until fully blended. Round out little balls in your hand and place on a glass baking dish lightly dusted with olive oil. Bake on 375 for 30 minutes.

I cooked up some whole wheat pasta but not everyone loves whole wheat so use whatever kind of pasta suits your taste. Remember however that refined wheat is completely stripped of all its natural nutrients, even if its enriched! I topped off the meal with a fresh salad and some Pinot Noir. It was delicious!

I usually make meatballs with a marinara or bolognese sauce but these meatballs tasted great on their own. The meat was particularly tasty and I can't wait to tell Chad (Carlton Farms) when I see him on Wednesday. More Recipes to come in future posts, especially ones from Nourishing Traditions the Sally Fallon cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment