Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What the Doctors Won't Admit

So I took my boys a while back for their 18 month well check. The pediatrician (not my normal Dr. - a fill in) was busy educating an intern throughout our entire appointment and I really didn't get many of my questions answered. However, I did get a great lecture on swine flu and all other flu's. I was told that my boys will be in severe danger if they do not receive these vaccines. They are at risk of DYING!!! Wow! those are harsh words since only a small amount of children in the US have actually died from the swine flu.

I don't appreciate the scare tactics at all. I told this pediatrician that people who are most susceptible to the flu are ones who have a vitamin D deficiency. He laughed out loud at me, "Not proven". Apparently he does not believe in any link between the flu and a lack of vitamin D. I was about to rattle off all the research I had done on the topic but something inside of me told me to just be quiet and get the heck out of there as fast as I could! So I refused a fight with this doctor and gently declined the flu shot. I also mentioned that I would not be getting the H1N1 shot and either would my children. I received another lecture on how irresponsible I was being and blah blah blah because at that point I was packing my kids up and tuning out this misinformed man. Whew! We made it out alive! Funny huh?

So just today I am reading some information on Dr. Mercola's website about a CDC study on the H1N1 virus. Apparently, out of the 36 children that did die from this flu, two thirds of them had certain predispositions such as: epilepsy, cerebral palsy and other neurodevelopmental conditions like mental retardation. Well according to what we know, neurological conditions such as these are almost always linked to childhood vitamin D deficiencies and the drugs that many of these children take for their conditions deplete their vitamin D even further. Do you think there is a link now? Are you convinced yet? I think the evidence is glaring.

We need to get our kids some vitamin D. This will protect them from ALL flu's not just H1N1. I have mentioned it before and I will do so again. Give your kids their vitamin D in a way their body will most likely absorb it (whole foods based). I give my boys cod liver oil. It comes in a fruity flavor and they take it like champs. It is a great source of vitamin D. Also, fatty fish like Salmon and sardines are abundant in vitamin D. Get your kids out in the sun and let them drink fresh raw milk! These are all ways you can help protect them from the upcoming flu season without having to inject them with harmful mercury and squalene (two ingredients in the H1N1 vaccine that will potentially cause neurological damage).

I am glad I walked out of that office because I know I am doing my best at protecting my kids. I just wish the medical community did as much research as I did. I wish they would stop being puppets of the pharmaceutical industry. As it turns out, I do not think the H1N1 will be offered to children under 2 years of age so my kids wouldn't qualify anyway but many of their little friends will.

Please read the following link that talks about the CDC findings on H1N1: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/09/22/Low-Vitamin-D-Increases-Flu-Death-Risk-in-Kids.aspx

3 comments:

  1. Funny to me how Dr's can be so ignorant, or blind to Vitamin D. My doctor just so happened to be staying with us at the beach and noticed that I never leave the bedroom, and how white my skin actually is. Tested my vitamin d levels, it was 12!! Normal is above 32! While I'm very bad about taking any kind of prescription meds, I can confirm that when I did infact GET the swine flu this summer, two days of doubling up on my prescription vitamin D and I was back to normal. Not to mention all the other many health benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know we are in a different place - I do have a child with a severe neuro condition who is in one of the high risk categories (aka, we're all getting the flu and h1n1 because the risks of her getting sick actually do outweigh the risks of the shot - not a happy place to be for me). But, I also know her doctor (a special needs doctor) follows her vitamin D levels regularly, and we give her a supplement in addition to her "complete" formula (Nutren Jr). I also know her brain injury was not caused by or related to a Vitamin D deficiency in childhood. While I can't get her to eat foods traditionally (all by g-tube, and we're not yet at the point where we are "making" our own formula for use through the g-tube), are there any supplements you would recommend for vitamin D - right now we're on plain old Poly Vi Sol. Also, on another subject, I would LOVE to know what supplement you would recommend for DHA for her. I'm going to her doctor tomorrow and want to ask about this specifically. You know where to find me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete